Wednesday, February 27, 2013

FINALLY DONE!


So, here it is...finally.
 My intention was to do a "how-to" blog for this table. I failed miserably at that.
After reading my earlier posts about this table, I came to the conclusion that the whole "how-to" thing is just plain boring.
 At the end of the day, I'm no teacher. Hell, I'm not even sure what I'm doing half of the time.
So here's a blanket "how-to" statement for anything you want to build...
1. get a idea (not as easy as you think)
2. get materials (not as easy as you think)
3. do whatever it takes to make materials look like the picture in your head.
4. the end.
 Back to my table...
I bought a wood worker bench from the 1940's off craigslist for $180 a year ago. It's massive, with the big wooden vise, and 70 years of abuse and I love it. I can't really see it because of everything I have piled on it, but this bench and me are gonna be together for a long time.
 Anyway, this table I built is sort of a tribute to that bench. If you saw them side by side you would think they were a set.
 I aged the new table to match. Paint spatter, splits in the wood, rough and smooth areas depending on where one would work on the table, hammer marks, etc.
I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea, nor do I care. It's kind of like one of those baby's that you see when you go out to dinner, that has a uni brow, and crazy hair, and is like 20lbs over weight for a healthy baby, and doesn't cry but makes bizzare barking noises...It's a little disturbing at first, but by time the check comes, you've found the beauty in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment