Saturday, February 23, 2013

HAPPY ACCIDENTS

My saw horse table base was a failure.
 Let me re phrase that...my original idea for a saw horse table base was a failure.
It's only a failure because I actually attempted to do it, but could not complete it.
 I had planned on making all these sliding dovetails, but to cut both parts of a dovetail at a 15 degree angle wore me down.
 Now, don't get me wrong...I got one done, so it is possible to do, but to allocate 36 hours of chisel time on a joint that most people won't even notice is...well...it's stupid.
 So I cleared my head and moved forward, and came up with a great base none the less.
I've spent the last couple of days aging the piece, and with any luck I will take it back to the shop to spray a dull rub finish.
 Even in it's current state it's pretty cool, It looks like some old coot made it in a cabin in Alaska like 50 years ago, which is exactly where my vision was for it.
 The picture up top??? I just thought it was a cool photo and it has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment