Thursday, February 7, 2013

KNOWING WHEN TO WALK AWAY

I found this awesome hand carved bust from 1970.
 I didn't really "find" it...I bought it. I paid next to nothing for it. In fact, I've spent more money on a flannel shirt. (I can almost feel Laura rolling her eyes right now)
 The fact that I paid jack shit for it was the reason I planned on performing surgery on her to make a lamp.
 I wasn't planning on jamming a rod in the neck and slapping a socket and lamp shade for the head. I was going to surgically remove a 3" deep rectangular section from the abdomen and carefully implant a light.
 This whole grand vision was going to represent a woman's inner beauty, and the purpose of the light was to actually take away from the naked form, to de-sexualize the woman and force you to look inside her instead.
 Pretty fuckin deep, huh?
Yeah well...I couldn't do it.
I didn't have the heart.
 I didn't have the heart to destroy art to make art.
My intentions were well placed, but there is a artist ethic involved in there somewhere.
 Granted that whoever carved this gorgeous piece is more then likely dead and gone and wouldn't fart in his coffin if I did chop her up, There's a respect for his work and his hand that I feel compelled to honor.
 So mister dead wood carver...out of respect to you, I will walk away from this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment