Saturday, March 30, 2013

FACTORY BEAM COFFEE TABLE PROGRESS

I don't usually post on the weekends, but I'm up with the birds...
 I made a lot of progress on the coffee table this week.
The hardest part was trying to come up with a base for the top.
 I decided on ripping the left over beam. I didn't want to do a base like that at first because I've seen it done before, but I realized that wasn't the real reason. The reason was that I didn't want to do the work because....well because it sucks.
 Cutting beams with a $20 hand saw is murderous, but I realized that if you put in the work, you'll reap the rewards (I haven't figured out exactly what those rewards are yet).
 Anyway, after I muscled through cutting it, I couldn't sleep knowing it was so plain Jane.
I had done some reading about a wood carver/sculptor/furniture maker named J.B Blunk.
 He's amazing, and I was inspired (which is rare), so I carved in a slight curve at the bottom of the base with a draw knife.
 I learned something about wood carving...it's hard. Even to make this little tiny curve took a lot of control and labor, but it added just what I needed to keep my brain from obsessing over it.
 I cut and polished some angle iron which I'll be using to secure the top to the base.
I gotta say, it feels pretty good to be working a larger piece again.

No comments:

Post a Comment