Sunday, March 17, 2013

KEEP IT SIMPLE

This was my first endeavor in building with reclaimed materials.
It all started from some 2x12's left over from a job.
 I had them in the back of my truck, and one day I decided to make a outdoor bench.
I cut the dovetails for the bench with a hack saw because the blade has a thin kerf and it was a little easier to control because those blades have some give.
 The bench came out pretty cool, and I had absolutely zero dollars invested in it, but what hooked me was the fact that while I was making that bench, I was so lost in my own head that it reminded of me when I used to paint.
 "This is not a picture of a dovetail bench" you say. You are correct my dear readers, it is not. But that bench I was talking about, ignited a spark in my fairly vacant brain, which created this and a slew of other pieces.
 Now THIS table is a slab of 3" oak that I found. I wasn't even sure if it was wood or not with all the gross crustiness that encased it. In fact, I scrubbed and scraped so much that I didn't even have to sand it by the time I got down to the wood
 I had taken left over angle iron from a job and mortised them in for the legs.
I was leaving the shop with my completed project when this guy walks by and offers to buy it.
 I politely declined. I declined because I didn't make it with the intention of selling it.
My Father in law asked me what I was talking to that guy about, and I told him he offered to buy the table. He said "he owns CONVERSO", and I'm thinking "good for him, I own this table"
 I had no idea what a CONVERSO is, so thanks to google, I found out....let me share my findings
CONVERSO is where you go when you want to buy a $75000 (yes...3 zeros) Nakashima coffee table or a $6000 Dunbar chair.
 We're all fragile beings, whether we admit it or not, and there's nothing wrong with reveling in the affirmation that something you did was good by someone who has their hands on the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment