Tuesday, April 9, 2013

HAY LOFT LAMP


This 1800's barn beam sat outside my window for quite some time.
 It haunted me on a daily basis because it was always too short or too long for a project that I had in mind.
 I had come upon a big ass hay loft pulley from the early 1900's as well as this really cool hook.
That's all I really needed to trigger a thought that would get that damn barn beam from sitting outside and into the house.
 Once I started assembling this monster, I ran into a problem. You see, from the very beginning I KNEW the hook was going to be too short...and it was.
 I don't know if I was having a Yoda moment and assumed I could bend this hook with my mind when the time came, but that's a skill I still have to hone.
 At that point it's like 9pm, my son is wrapped up in the Ninja Turtles, and the lamp is in pieces because of a hook that is a 1/2" too short.
 That's when I became a blacksmith.
I held the hook on the stove with a pair of channel locks, then proceeded to beat the shit out of it on the bathroom floor with a hammer.
 It worked. It fucking worked. Unbelievable.
I put it all together and slept with a smile on my face.
 When I awoke to admire my piece and pat myself on the back for my ingenuity, I discovered that the weight of the pulley pulled the hook right back to where it was.
 Needless to say that beautiful Victorian hook got chucked onto some rooftop in Pilsen, and a sturdy rebar hook took it's place.

1 comment: