Saturday, April 13, 2013

OUT OF 71 DESIGN TALENTS...67 SUCK

I got murdered this week doing a bathroom remodel.
 When I had a moment to relax, I took a moment to see what is new in the world of square houses by diving into DWELL magazine.
 Month after month it's...square house, square house, and more square houses.
But this month, something caught my eye. "71 DESIGN TALENTS TO TRACK"
 I was slightly excited to see what these hip- up and comers were going to do with all their fancy schooling, technology, and globe trotting apprenticeships.
 I'm here to report that they did...NOTHING.
I'll give credit where credit is due, and 4 of them stepped up to the plate and did something worth publishing.
 But the other 67...ya know what they mastered? They mastered the craft of convincing people that their garbage is ground breaking.
 One of these design masters produced a side table. Are you ready for the cutting edge design feature that propelled him into design royalty????  Prepare yourself to be blown away, because I'm about to spill the beans on this genius....he put wheels on it. Wow, right?
 Another design duo came up with colorful stacking chairs. Brilliant, I say.
Actually what I say, and I say it in my best Chicago accent is..."get the fuck outta here."
 I don't mean to sound bitter, and this isn't about me or what I do.
I'm very aware of where I stand. I...make furniture out of ...garbage. Lets call a spade a spade, because reclaimed is a pretty word for garbage.
 I wanted to be inspired. I wanted these hot shit designers to move me, to push me in new directions, to motivate me to put on my darkest pair of skinny jeans and douse myself in patchouli.
 Although I was not inspired, I did realize that no matter what you do, inspiration has to come from within, and if it does, it will show in your work.


No comments:

Post a Comment