Thursday, May 2, 2013

INDUSTRIAL STEEL LAMP

There are two reasons for my lack of blogging.
1. Apparently, everyone in Chicago wants a new bathroom
2. I was able to sum up a years worth of work in 3 months, so now I have to produce in order to bore you with furniture details.
 In the spirit of production, I have produced this steel lamp out of 6 scrap pieces of steel.
The base was mitered, welded, and grinded to appear to be one piece.
 I bent another piece and drilled holes to lace the lamp cord through. If I knew the lacing would come out as cool as it did, I would have drilled more holes. You live...you learn.
 To keep it stable, I cut a piece of 5/8's round stock for a support.
To be totally honest, I wasn't sure if I was into this lamp until it was all wired up.
 I like the simplicity of it. I can picture it on some foreman's desk in some factory back in the late 40's or early 50's. I also like the fact that it's all steel, and all old cut offs left over from other pieces.
 I'm picking up some material from Salvage One this weekend to start working on a piece for them.
That's refreshing for everyone in our house because we couldn't possibly cram any more shit in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment