Wednesday, May 29, 2013

TREASURE FROM TRASH

The best thing to come out of my memorial day meltdown was that I had a full day to think about what to build.
 I stated that I wanted to work on a coffee table, and I'm glad I didn't. My reason for wanting to do another coffee table was because the first one sold fast...like real fast. The question I had to ask myself was "where's the joy in a easy kill?"
 So what you're seeing in this blurry horrible photo is the early beginnings of a free standing shelving piece.
 Again, I grabbed a disastrous beam. I'm like a shit-wood magnet. I gravitate to the ugliest most hopeless pieces of wood.
 This beam was in such bad shape that I had to order a special drawknife called a "inshave" or also known as a "scorp". The purpose of this tool is mostly for chair seat carving, but i'm going to use it to carve out rot and do some shaping. Unfortunately I won't get it until next week, but there's plenty of work to do in the meantime.
 I have all the engineering of this piece figured out to insure that it doesn't fall and/or fall apart, I have all the pieces cut, I have the first layer of grossness removed. Now, the fun begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment