Thursday, August 1, 2013

SLOW MOTION...SUCKS

It seems like this is taking forever...because it is.
 4am this morning and a third coat of finish is applied and I still have to make the legs.
Between jobs today, I'm going to pick up the steel, and hopefully get the steel for my plan A table.
 There was a lot of eyeball time on this bench, which is good. It's good because when you try something new, and the fear factor has been eliminated, your mind starts taking you to new places and you think about how you can incorporate your new endeavor into other aspects of your craft.
 Fear and fear of failure is like a cancer, and overcoming it is one of the greatest senses of accomplishment.
 No matter what your craft is, if you look back on all the things you didn't do because you were, well, basically afraid....imagine how far you'd be now.
 I wasn't really "afraid" to take a whack at carving, I just didn't know anything about it. Granted, this is pretty rudimentary in the aspect of carving wood, but you have to start some where, and my worse case scenario was that I ruin a piece of wood (like there's a wood shortage).
 I think that's why I don't have a lot of friends (by design). I have no one to impress or disappoint.
It's not really a tongue in cheek statement. Our entire formative years were spent seeking approval, and it's a brutal habit to break.
 The people I surround myself with could care less if I succeed or fail, they care because I always try.
People like that are few and far between, and maybe if people chose their company more carefully, the rat race would be less of a race and more of a collective.

No comments:

Post a Comment