Wednesday, August 28, 2013

WHEN IN DOUBT...MAKE A BENCH


This became a bench for a few different reasons.
 I was going to use it as a shelf for a funky table I'm working on, but if I cut off what I needed, there would be too much waste, and spalted maple isn't really available at Home Depot.
 Then I considered cutting and joining the two pieces to make a table top, but it would be a pretty useless size table.
 So when in doubt...make a bench.
Spalted Maple is on the softer side, so the climate was good for taking a crack at carving.
After I carved the "B", it was sort of camouflaged, so I needed to figure out a way to make it pop.
I wanted to keep it natural, so stain wasn't a option.
 That's when I came up with the stupid idea of torching it.
Guess what...fire and wood on the decaying side aren't a good combo for furniture, although they are perfect for camping.
 I'm not sure what I was thinking, but the second the flame touched it, wooosh! Bench on fire.
I've torched a lot of wood with very cool results, but putting a flame to wood this dry was not the smartest thing I've done.
 Once extinguished, I had to sand all the charred wood, and what was left was inside of the "B", which made it "pop".
 I painted the legs a really cool burgundy.
I could go on and on about this bench, but "Doc McStuffins" is over and King Max is demanding I feed him like right fuckin' now.
 Apparently they haven't taught him what "give me a minute" means in school yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment