Monday, January 27, 2014

PLAYING THE HAND YOUR DEALT



Sometimes shit just doesn't go your way.
 How you manipulate the situation back into your favor, is what separates you from the herd
I REALLY wanted this top to work for the Viking Table base. There came a moment when a voice inside my head said "change gears B, this one will just have to wait".
 I have to admit, I was upset and disappointed for the entire length of a cigarette. I stomped it out, went back in the shop, and began working on a new base.
 The "old" me, would have sawed that bitch in half and broken a bunch of expensive tools, but the "new" me took a look at the situation with rational eyes, and forged ahead in a new direction.
  The material for the top had so much metal in it (nails, spikes, screws, old washers) that I could not surface it (to surface it means to flatten it out). I chewed up a planer blade trying to do it by hand, and you couldn't imagine what it would do if I tried to run it through a planer machine.
 The next issue was joining the 3 pieces. These pieces are usually glued, but because I couldn't plane the edges before gluing, the edges wouldn't be flat against one another to hold the glue.
 To make a long boring story short....it wouldn't work and I moved on.
It is now on it's way to being a 8' dining table with a polished steel base.
 I will tell you how I did manage to join the top.
I inserted 1/2" thick steel rods, and then installed slats on the bottom, and when it's mounted to the base....you could park a small pick up truck on top of it, if you so desired.
 I went to the shop on Sunday to make up for lost time, with the intention of mortising in some walnut Dutchman joints.
 Once I got there, I realized that I forgot the walnut.
I decided to make a couple of dutchmans out of steel, and HERE is where working with someone else would have come in handy.
 It would've been nice to have someone there who could've said "hey bro....your glove is on fire" while I was cutting the steel. I knew something smelled funny, but it took a minute to register that my glove was burning.
 The first thought was "stop-drop-and roll", thanks to my second grade teacher, but I opted for the obvious and just took it off and stomped it out.
 After mortising the dutchmans into the top, I stood back and not only admired the piece, but I admired the power of will power.
 At this point, this table is 80% will power, 15% skill, and 5% material.
By NOT giving up, my success will very shortly be able to be measured in dollars.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment