Monday, March 31, 2014

THE HARDWOOD FLOOR DESTROYER


Man has roamed the earth for millions of years.
 That being said, your chances of doing something truly original, are about the same as hitting the Powerball.
 Well, pack your bags Momma, cause we're going to mother fuckin' Disneyland!!!!!
That's a very "tongue in cheek" statement. Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it hasn't been done.
 Here's the deal, Marcus from Salvage One had brought back a couple of shitty old gates. While talking with him about them, he had the idea of flipping it and making a "X" base.
 Brilliant idea. I ground them down, chopped em' up, and welded them into shape.
When I got home, I thought about what a great idea that was for the base, but I really had to do something to compliment Marcus's idea.
 I knew what kind of stock I wanted to use, I knew that they had to be joined, and I knew I had to think outside of the box.
 I am so intrigued by leather workers.
Those guys have a skill that is so primal and yet so precise. Primal in the sense that they're making stuff from the skin of a animal, and precise in the sense that when they're done with a piece, it looks like it came out of a machine.
 I started poking around the j10customs website. I went there because there is a lot of leather pieces to look at. That's when the light bulb went on.
 I decided that I would "stitch" the wood together...with steel.
Idea's are just idea's until you pull them off, and I was determined to pull it off.
 I went into the shop with the intent of doing a test run on a piece of scrap. It's smart, yet I never do a test run. It's always do or die, but this time I decided to put my big boy pants on and do a trial run.
 I bent 1/2" steel bar, grabbed a scrap piece of wood, drilled a couple of holes, then smashed the steel in with a 3lb hammer and ultimately turned that scrap piece of wood into tooth picks.
 I thought to myself "ok, that CAN happen", then got to work on the top.
This time, I took a chisel and mortised in the curve of the steel bar, allowing the steel to slide through the holes effortlessly. Then, I cut and drilled a piece of steel plate for the bottom, fed the round bar through the holes, screwed the plate to the wood, welded the round bar to the plate, cut the excess round bar off, re-welded and ground  it smooth...twice.
 I'll be damned...it worked. I stitched wood with steel. I can't even sew a button on a pair of pants, and I basically stitched wood with steel.
 Between Marcus and Johnney Renyolds from j10customs, I made a discovery that inspiration can come from those around you. It can sneak up on you. You just have to recognize that it's there for the taking, and it's up to you to take it...and run like hell.


No comments:

Post a Comment