Monday, April 21, 2014

NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER



Ever since I posted a photo of the book on www.facebook.com/breclaimed I got slammed with inquiries about "how much is it?" and "where can I get one?"
 While there is no better feeling then doing something that people are genuinely interested in, I am sorry to inform those interested parties that "it's NOT for sale" and "there's no place to get one".
 The purpose of the book (which is more like a catalog or a really expensive and fancy Resume') is for when I meet with potential clients, I don't have to try to show them photos of my work on my phone.
 I can't tell you how many times I've encountered potential clients and felt like a complete tool as I'm scrolling through photos of my kid taking a dump, trying to find a picture of my work.
 So now, I can bust out the book, and look all fucking professional.
The other copies will go to designers and Salvage One.
 I've talked about doing a coffee table book before, and doing this one puts me one step closer to doing something available to people.
 Now that the book explanation is out of the way, let me move on to the Punishment chair.
Building chairs is like building lamps. They become more sculpture then furniture.
 Right now, I have about $12000 worth of furniture sitting on the floor at Salvage One. After a brutal winter and tax time, furniture sales slow down for a minute. I decided to seize the moment and just do something funky.
 What you see in the photo are the very humble beginnings. What this chair has going for it is the fact that I'm able to walk away from it for a week and make a thousand changes before I actually touch it again.
 One thing I really wanted to try to execute is some Danish techniques. For some reason the old school Danish designers loved to cut a hole in the middle of something and then jam another piece of wood through it. Well, that's how the chair back sits on this one. I mortised the chair back all the way through the seat. The difference is that the Danes would use a piece that was perfectly square, and I used a live edge slab. It's a little tricky with a live edge slab because the shape changes as you get farther up the piece.
 The legs on the chair are gonna go. The current welded steel legs served their purpose in giving me a starting point, but it's the end of the road for them now.
 When I walked in on Friday, I was telling Collin that I wanted to make a chair. I'm convinced that if I walked in there and said "I wanna make a exploding disco ball", they'd be like "sure, go for it!".
 While we were chatting about the chair idea, I said "does anybody buy just one chair?"
The response I got was one of the most well timed and inspirational responses that I've ever fished for, and the best part of it is that I don't think he even knew of the impact.
 His response was "Sure, people will buy one chair.......if it's a really fucking cool chair."
Challenge accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment