Monday, May 26, 2014

MY HANDS MIGHT BE FOR SALE, BUT MY SOUL ISN'T.


There's a lot going on in this photo, but behind the vintage guitars and amps is a custom retail guitar display.
 It's been a work in progress over the last few weeks. Not so much physical work, but mental work.
The gentleman that commissioned me to do it had a very clear idea of what he wanted, but I had to custom make all the arms to suspend the guitars.
 It was a challenge for me in the respect that, I can pretty much make...anything, but to make 8 of something is a little different.
 My mind doesn't operate in "production" mode. Maybe I have A.D.D. 
 I think it came out very cool, but I have to admit that facilitating someone else's vision just isn't "fun".
In fact...writing about it isn't even fun.
 There's a "soul" factor missing.
When I'm making something from nothing I can write about it and the process and everything that happened along the way. That's because, at THAT time and in THOSE moments, I am IN that piece,
I am CONSUMED by it.
 Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with this piece, I stayed very focused while doing it, I just don't feel any ownership or command over it. I feel like I was a "good dog".
I literally just got up from my computer, and walked down the block (in my pajamas) when the title of this post dawned on me..."my hand might be for sale, but my soul isn't"
 I guess that's why I shy away from custom work so much, and the custom work that I do is for people that have a special quality.
 The guy who commissioned this is a good guy. He's dedicated to his work, and from what I've seen from dealing with him, he does it exceptionally well.
 I've had offers that I have walked away from because people came at me in a shitty way, or just over stepped their bounds.
 There are hundreds of guys out there that will do anything for the money. Sometimes I wish I could be that guy. If I was, I'd be in a sick house, driving a 2014 F-250, but I'd probably be miserable.
 I'm far from miserable. I have an awesome family, great friends, and a craft that fulfills me.
Am I shooting myself in foot? Do I give a fuck if I am? Nope.
 It's been said forever, and some asshole on Facebook will post it at least once a week..."If you do what you love, the money will follow".
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment