Monday, June 30, 2014

WHEN THE DAY IS NOT YOUR OWN

The other day I went to the shop with big plans.
 I was pretty eager to start another project, but sometimes, it's best to give your day away to others.
There is an artist and friend of mine (Angel Rome Pagan) that had contacted me for some assistance on a project that he's working on. He simply needed me to weld up some chain for him, so I took the piece to the shop and figured I would work it in throughout the day.
 When I got to the shop, Linda (the accountant) needed a piece put together for her son's wedding...no problem, I can work that in.
 Marcus had come back into the shop with some steel brackets that a customer was going to purchase but needed them modified...no problem, give me a few minutes here.
 At this point I pretty much abandoned ship.
I didn't remotely care about my project anymore because the people that asked me for my help, never ask for anything.
 Sometimes it's good to let go of what YOU want, and lend your hand to others.
Something good always comes from doing something good, it's like mystic universal mathematics.
 While in the shop, there was a rusty hunk of metal that vaguely resembled a vise on top of one of the work tables.
 As it turns out, they found it while cleaning out the boiler room.
While talking with Collin about it, he said they were thinking about scrapping it. I took it back into the metal shop and went to work on it.
 Everything was rusted closed, it wouldn't budge. It's truly amazing what you can do with a 3lb. blacksmith hammer and a grinder with a wire wheel.
 After going to war with this piece, it looks beautiful and operates like the day it was made.
Once all the rust was removed, the side of the vise was embossed with the manufacturers information. As it turns out, this vise was made in 1908. For 106 years this tool has been used.
 Shit, I'm lucky if I get 2 years out of a coffee maker.
Ever since I left the shop that day, the last 106 years have gone by in my head. All the world events and milestones that have passed, and somehow, this vise, ended up in the boiler room of Salvage One.
 What's even crazier is that this tool will keep on keeping on.
It was saved from the scrap yard, and will continue to function long after I'm dead and gone.
 Although I didn't get to do any work on my intended project, I managed to breath life into something that is a true relic.
 I guess the moral of this story is that you can create your own satisfaction.
I found mine in helping others as well as restoring that vise.
 It all comes down to perception. How do you want to view a situation?
I could have walked away dejected because I didn't get to do what I set my mind on doing.
 It just goes to show that if you are in control of your outlook, then you are in control of the outcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment