Monday, September 29, 2014

"LIFE'S MY BITCH"


It's done and it's home.
 3 coats of Danish oil, a lot of rubbin', Linseed oil and a torch, and that was my Saturday afternoon.
I read about a method of finishing steel by applying linseed oil, and then baking it on with a torch, so I took a crack at it.
 Even though it's kinda messy, kinda dangerous, and more time consuming, the result is a clean, matte brownish finish.
 I started my Saturday by painting my kids room at 6am, then I installed trim and a new threshold in the pantry, then I finished the coffee table, then...we went and saw "The Box Trolls".
 Sunday, I started skim coating my kitchen.
The building is 120 years old and needs a lot of work, but we're beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
 I really need to wrap this move up, and soon. I need to get back to producing pieces.
Not so much for financial reasons, but in creating pieces, it's where I find my peace.
 Operating my life in a constant state of chaos is taking a toll on me.
Some people thrive off it, and then there's me. I put a lot of effort in keeping my life in balance, and when it gets thrown off, I struggle with correcting it.
 I've spent the last year or so putting the pieces of my life together in a manner in which I dictate. It's very liberating, and there are sacrifices involved, but it's all worth it, because you come to a point where you find a "peace".
 Now that a home renovation and move has come in to disrupt my peace, I have discovered a way to take control of the chaos.
 I use time instead of time using me.
I break every task into increments of time, then I complete those tasks in the time that I have given myself.
Would I really like to take a break and have a cup of coffee while I'm installing this floor? Yes, I would, but no, I won't, because I've only allotted myself a specific amount of time to complete my goal.
 You see where I'm going with this?
It's more difficult then you think, but if you can reel it in, you can conquer the beast known as time.
 I make furniture. Breclaimed is the name I have tied to that. "B" is for Brian, everyone has a difficult time stating my name for some reason and refer to me as "B". Reclaimed means to take back. In essence, Breclaimed is about me taking back me.
 The furniture is just what I do, and that's what most people see. For me, Breclaimed is about taking my life and situations out of other peoples hands and putting it back into my own.
 I chose to give that little break down because, no matter what is going on in your life, you have the ability to take control of it.
 Life is too short to let it have it's way with you, and it will if you let it. That's why some asshole made a zillion dollars off of printing merchandise that states "Lifes a bitch".
 Maybe I can make a zillion dollars off of printing merchandise that says "Life's MY bitch".

No comments:

Post a Comment