Monday, October 6, 2014

DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB

As much pleasure as I get from building whatever I want, every now and then I have to build something that wasn't on my mental docket.
 As I have mentioned before, we are converting a indoor BMX park into an advertising agency for my day job.
 Not only is there the typical construction aspect, (and nothing in this place can fall under "typical") but there is some furniture that is being made.
 What you see here is the beginning of a conference table, a 10'X4' conference table that will have to support a 1000lb. concrete top.
 I was asked about 50 times that day if this base will hold a 1000lb. concrete top, and the answer is...
I sure fucking hope so.
 I know the furniture I make is heavy duty, but I don't usually go dropping 1000lbs. of anything on them, so with that being said...I guess we'll find out soon enough.
 Truth be told, I'm pretty confident in the structure. I went over it quite a few times, securing possible weak points, inventing back up bracing, and what not.
 The customer wanted "industrial looking" and that's what I'm delivering.
The funny thing is, once the base is in the conference room, the concrete top will be poured in place. What that means is...That's it. That's where it stays, forever. The client asked if it would be able to move with them if and when they vacate the space, and I literally laughed a semi diabolical laugh and just said "nope".
 I guess you could move it, but who in their right mind would go through that expense?
This whole project has been a blast, and once it's done, I'm going to dedicate a blog post to it.
 It'll be like nothing you've seen before.
"You never work a day in your life when you love what you do"....true story, I'm living proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment