Monday, October 20, 2014

LIMP DICK IN A WHORE HOUSE

Anybody that makes anything with their hands knows that the hardest part of their craft, is figuring out WHAT to make.
 Musician, photographer, painter, sculptor, whatever, they'll all tell you the same thing.
After my whirlwind month of moving and working and renovating, I finally had a chance to go to Salvage One.
 There was a beautiful live edge oak console table that was left over from the move. It was one of my first and favorite pieces that I've made, It had served me well, but I refuse to cram something into my new place that is no longer needed.
 My idea was to take it to the shop and chop it up into a coffee table because to be totally honest...coffee tables sell pretty fast.
 When I got to Salvage One and told Collin my idea, he had told me to leave it as it is, and in fact, HE might buy it for his new home.
 That all sounds great right? Bring the table in, someone buys it right away, no work to be done, call it a day.
 For me....it's like having a limp dick in a whore house.
I WANTED to work. Even if it was re purposing something I had already re purposed.
 I wandered through the shop, and sitting right on top of one of the work tables was a slab of live edge wormy hickory.
 Apron...on, radio...on...cut-cut-weld-weld-sand-sand-screw-screw-oil-oil-buff-buff...BAM! Coffee table.
 Like Edward Scissor Hands with steel and wood.
Lately, I've been feeling like a dick.
 The requests for custom work are coming in, and I feel like I should change the name from Breclaimed to..."NO".
 Most people can't wrap their brain around why I constantly refuse work. Even I question it.
Custom work equals money, but it's just not what I do.
 I make what my soul tells me to make, you like it, you buy it. It's too big or too small, YOU make it work, or don't. That's my business model.
 If someone walks into Restoration Hardware and sees a piece, would they ask the sales person if they can make it 12 inches longer?
 So for those that request...I'm flattered. I really am. I appreciate your faith in my hand, and I'm not being a dick, it's just not what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment