Monday, December 15, 2014

"I REMEMBER BEING ON ACID AS A TEEN..."



I made it to the shop on Saturday and completed Mr. Stumpy.
 While I was working on it, it dawned on me that this particular piece isn't furniture...it's sculpture.
It's a functional collaborative piece between me, nature, and an unknown backyard lumberjack. Sounds pretty fuckin' fancy, right?
 In theory, it CAN be used as a table, but you could use a milk crate or a cardboard box as a table too, This is a little more than a table.
 When I first hoisted it up on the work table, almost losing a testicle in the process, it was a tree stump. A tree stump with very interesting contours. Contours that I chose to accent. A table has a base, and this has a platform. A platform used to elevate it and show it's shape at an appealing height.
 Perspective is a crazy mental tool. It enables us to see an outcome in whatever way pleases us.
If your car got trampled by a wild herd of buffalo, you could use your perspective to say "my car just got destroyed" or you could use it to say "wow, I've never seen a herd of wild buffalo in Chicago before...cross that one off the bucket list". Do you see where I'm going with this?
 As far as this stump piece goes, I choose to see it as functional art, others will choose to see it as a coffee table. It's easier for me to view it as art because it's from MY hand. I made it. I know it's weight, it's curves and crevices, it's balance, it's flaws. I know what it was before and I know what it is now. For Joe Blow coming in off the street...he doesn't know shit about it, his eyes tell his brain it's a table and to move along, and he'll most likely listen to his brain.
 A buyer will be lured in by it's appearance, but a buyer of my kind of stuff will ponder all the how's and why's and most likely create their own scenario of it's birth before they choose to take ownership.
  I remember being on acid as a teen. On that particular trip I figured out the meaning of life (who hasn't on acid?). The difference is that I spent the next 6 or 7 hours of that trip, telling myself "don't forget, don't forget, don't forget". My epiphany was that life isn't about answers and outcome, it's about the how's and why's. How did you get there? Why did you do that? It's about embracing the steps along the way. It's about knowing yourself.
 I never forgot, but I never applied it until much later in life.
The "how's and why's" are what give things their character. Things aren't always what they seem on the surface.
 So that's my synopsis for Mr. Stumpy tree art table.
The bottom pic is of a desk I'm working on.
 There's a bit of a story on how it came to be on my project list, but I'm going to refrain from elaborating on it until it's complete.
 What I will tell you is that I found the top in the garbage, and someone evidently had a little accident with fire and that top.
 I'm not 100% sure I can salvage the top...so far it's interesting, but we'll have to see what shape it takes on.
 Well folks...The holidays are upon us, and for the next couple of weeks we're all gonna be busy as fuck. I hope you all have a great holiday, and hopefully I'll be able to provide some reading material while you're recovering from shopping, family fights, and food comas.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment