Monday, January 5, 2015

ALWAYS BUILDING


The Holidays have come and gone.
 For many people I know, the holidays equate to a 2 week vacation. In this house...the machine doesn't stop, it merely pauses.
 My girl has been training at a new place for the last month, while holding down jobs at 2 other places.
 It's a ridiculous schedule that no one should ever have to endure, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
 The way a family works is...when one person is down, the troops rally to keep things moving.
The downside to all of this is that my work suffers.
 I haven't been able to build my stuff on the weekends because while she is at training, it's just me and my boy.
 I chose this time to spend cultivating Max's building spirit with the wonders of LEGOS.
At first, it was me building the LEGO things for him, then it was him looking at the instructions and handing me the correct pieces, then it was him assembling the parts and me linking them together, and now I watch him build.
 I knew my job was complete when last night I watched him frantically search for the correct instruction booklet so he could figure out how to repair his LEGO snowplow.
 As much as I wanted to jump in and just put the snowplow pieces back together for him, I watched him suffer, in fact...I made him suffer. It broke my heart. He looked me in the eye for help, without saying a word, and I turned my back on him. I turned my back on him FOR him.
 He struggled, he got frustrated, but he figured it out on his own, and we celebrated his success. I watched it all click in his little 5 year old brain, and I watched as a new chapter of independence was ignited inside this little man.
 Hopefully things will get back to normal around here this week, and I can get back to my projects, but I have to say that the time I've spent away from building my stuff in order to spend time building my son has been amazing.
 At the end of the day I'm really cultivating a highly skilled indentured servant.
There will be a day when he'll be in the shop with his old man, sanding,planing,chiseling, routing, creating, discovering, learning, becoming....becoming a man, becoming a good man.
 After all, my son is my greatest creation, and he'll definitely be my longest build ever.
It's just like building furniture, you can only hope that it's gonna turn out how you envisioned it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment