Monday, February 16, 2015

DON'T JUDGE.

My guy Zack had pulled the first table from the trash.
 He brought it down to the shop so that he'd have something to eat his lunch off of.
It was in pretty bad shape. Clearly, an artist in the building was using it as their paint station, and it was a perfect table for that function. The height is just right, it's on wheels....perfect, except for one thing...it was a Herman Miller table from 1976.
 That's like wearing a pair of $400 Mister Freedom jeans to go dig a septic tank under a cabin in the woods.
 We actually have this giant Herman Miller table in the shop that is broken, and I was looking at the base of that table and comparing the two. They were exactly the same (except one is smaller and on wheels).
 I "reclaimed" the table from Zack. I cleaned up the base, and removed the top and added a new old growth top. I also made a handle for the little guy. I did so because I could imagine that artist who probably used that table for years, had thought on more than one occasion..."man, I wish this table had a handle."
 The second table is going to be a freestanding kitchen island.
The base is super heavy and can be bolted to a floor.
 I had the grand idea of mortising the top of the base into the surface top. Lets just say that I'll never get those 2 hours back. It was a lot of work to hide the top of the base, but it was really worth it because now it looks like this giant top is balancing on a pole.
 It's funny because all weekend I was thinking about how I was going to offer my 2 cents about self discovery and inspiration with these 2 pieces.
 I mean, they're nice pieces, I'm quite happy with them, but I didn't really have any enlightening moments with them....until just now.
 Freedom.
As I was re reading this post, I stopped for a second at the Mister Freedom part.
 Mister Freedom makes clothing (www.misterfreedom.com)
I think that I became interested in what he was doing because when you look at his work, he truly does not give a fuck.
Actually I'm sure he gives a very large fuck about his work, just not about what peoples opinions are about it.
 That's Freedom.
I don't have to explain to anyone why I put a rustic top with a handle on a $500 Herman Miller base, I don't have to explain why I made a 250lb. kitchen island with railroad spike heads jutting out.
 Freedom is where the beauty hides in the things that are beautiful.
A narrow mind will look at something and say "oh, that's stupid", or "who would buy THAT?"
 For me, when I see something a little different, a little funky, or just makes me raise an eyebrow...well, whatever it is that I'm looking at just commanded all my attention, and the artist or maker or whoever... just won.
 Everybody is thirsty for the "how" and "why". It's easier to pass judgement when those questions are answered.
 I've had people ask me why I've done something, and I'll ask them "what are you going to do with that information if I tell you?" Because once that question is asked, the sale has already vacated and I get to go into full smart ass mode.
 The moral of the story is be free. Stop judging. Take a risk. Never explain your art.

No comments:

Post a Comment