Monday, April 13, 2015

EVEN A HOOKER CHOOSES WHO SHE BLOWS



There came a moment at the shop where everything was in a state of "wait".
 Waiting for stain to dry, waiting for glue to dry, waiting for a deposit.
For a brief moment, me and Zack were standing there like, "ok, what the fuck do we do now?"
 I had an idea for a desk, and it was close enough to lunch time, so we grabbed some material and a sandwich and decided to facilitate my idea.
 I really wanted to use one of those giant turnbuckle things that you see holding tension on bridges.
Home Depot had one that is about 1/100th of the size I was looking for, and I google'd it in the hardware aisle, only to discover that it would set me back about $300.
 Immediately Zack said "fuck that, we'll make our own.".
It wouldn't be the first time that we had to fabricate parts that weren't available, so when we got back to the shop, Zack worked on the turnbuckle and I started on the base.
 When I  have a vision for something, I try to dissect it before I even start. I know what I want it to look like, and I know where I'm ready to sacrifice form for function or vice versa. If I wanted to build off a set of plans, I'd go frame houses. I find no joy in being rigid in my design, I mean, all the fun happens when shit doesn't work and you have to either make it work or come up with a plan B real quick.
 Between lunch and quitting time the desk was built and the stain was drying. That's what happens with a clear vision.
 I got a message from my friend Mark Thill from Streamline Craftsman.
He had just moved to Austin and had been offered 2 jobs. One was a foreman position for a remodeling company and the other was for a smaller shop that builds creative type furniture. The remodel company paid well and the furniture company paid half, and he was torn on which position to take.
 My advice was to go where he could be free and happy in his work.
Money....if you're happy doing what your doing, the money will come.
 I wasted a lot of time either being bored to death at a job or outright hated going to work.
What good is money if you're miserable?
 Think about how many hours that you spend at work. You spend more time at work during the week then you do at home, so why be miserable? For MONEY? That shit just doesn't make any sense.
 That's probably why we are a society of alcoholics and pill poppers. If your job is so awful that you need to self medicate just to go back to the place that made you self medicate to make MONEY, well, it's really time to re evaluate some things.
 If me and Zack did things differently we could probably be pulling up to the shop in new Benz's, but the fact is that neither of us are willing to give up our creative freedom or build some dumb shit just for a check.
 We take on what we want, when we want, we choose. WE choose.
Even a hooker chooses who she's gonna blow, so why wouldn't we? Not that we're in the blowjob business, but we definitely exercise our "choice" skills.
 If you have a skill you can always make money, if you don't have a skill...you're fucked. Period. No hope for you. Move to the back of the line.
 Most people have a skill. They might not be sure what that skill is, and to be honest, once you discover exactly what your skill is, you can cross out a huge portion of that whole "meaning of life" question.
 I'm gonna offend some people, but what else is new....The other day I overheard a conversation and a woman proclaimed that she would just put her issue "in gods hands'.
 God doesn't want that shit in his hands, he's busy making solar systems collapse on themselves, and tinkering with different dimensions, and blowing stars up.
 I'm thinking to myself  "you self centered bitch, do you really think that you're that special that God is going to magically slip your Resume' to the top of the pile?"
 God won't help you. He put you here for YOU to help YOU. He did all the hard work you lazy fuck, the least you can do is figure your own shit out and give the guy a break.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment