Monday, April 27, 2015

WASTE YOUR TIME WISELY


We had to do some work on the roof,
 It's wedding season and our building hosts many events. The prime event space is the roof deck and it's stunning views of the Chicago skyline.
 There is cedar seating up there and Chicago weather puts a hurtin' on that sort of thing, so we had to repair the seating so nobody get's impaled or has there Sunday bests torn to shreds.
 Now the building itself takes up 2 city blocks, and when we were done working, we went on a little rooftop adventure.
 At some point, they had started to disassemble the elevator shaft. We went to check it out to see what kind of elevator parts we could use for our little operation.
 There are all these giant gears and steel cables, and for me and Zack, it's like being a kid and seeing all your Christmas presents before they're wrapped.
 There were 3 giant beams next to that shaft, and Zack and myself lugged that son of a bitch an entire city block down to our shop.
 Somewhere between the roof and our shop I envisioned exactly what I wanted to do with it.
I wasn't sure how I was going to make it work, but I had a clear vision, and I assumed I would just figure it out along the way.
 At some point while working on the roof seating I had started to go on a tirade about how what determines our success is our willingness to do things "the hard way". I was going on and on about how no matter what it takes to complete our vision of a piece, if we stay the course and muscle through the laborious bullshit, our pieces will outshine whatever else is out there.
 Zack has a gift for pretending he's interested in what my mouth is projectile vomiting out, and I'm pretty sure that after about 10 seconds into my lecture, his brain automatically went to trying to figure out if he was going to have chicken salad or roast beef for lunch.
 Once I cut the beam to accommodate the piece of glass that we had laying around, I had to figure out a way to make the 2 beam sections appear to float.
 In the spirit of "doing things the hard way", I mortised in 2 pieces of 1 1/2" steel square stock in the bottom of the beams. You don't just run it through a machine that will mortise it to that depth, in my case I used a hammer and a beat up Dewalt $10 chisel.
 You can make wood and steel do whatever you want, if you're willing to go to battle.
I've put a ton of physical work into pieces that either totally flop, or come out amazing. It's always a crap shoot, but you'll never win if you don't toss the dice.
 Don't let me mislead you, the hard way sucks.
The willingness to accept the difficult is the backbone of success. Look at people who run marathons, I don't like DRIVING 27.5 miles much less do that shit on foot. I look at my buddy Zace Meyers who makes clothing. He lives in an Amish area of Ohio and employs Amish family's to sew for him, but guess what? The Amish don't use that wonderful luxury that we call electricity, so he had to rig all his machines to run on line shafts and they sew by kerosene lamps. Talk about doing things the hard way?
 So my advice is to embrace the difficult instead of fear it. The only thing you lose if you fail at the difficult things is time, and lets not fool ourselves, we've all mastered the art of WASTING time.
 People love to say "you're wasting your time!", really? I guess I could be applying that time to more important things like, watching TV, or painting my entire body blue and go to a sporting event, or sitting in a bar, or playing X BOX or here's the newest use of time that I've seen recently...staring into my fucking phone.
 No thanks, I'm good. I'm gonna waste my time just like this.
  
  


No comments:

Post a Comment