Monday, July 20, 2015

CHECKMATE


This massive farm table was born out of a request to make a "lighter" table.
 We failed miserably.
The intention was there by cutting down the thickness of the base material, but once you start adding braces and steel plates at every stress point, well, the concept of "lighter" goes right outta the fuckin' window.
 We don't really do "lighter".
Our furniture is not only fashionable, but we bring people together.
 "How on earth does furniture bring people together?", allow me to explain, when you acquire one of our pieces, get ready to make 3 or 4 new friends because you're gonna need some new friends to help you move one of our pieces into it's final destination.
 It was fun to give it a shot though.
I've never built anything with it's weight in mind, so when adding that factor into a concept, you added a new element to the build...even though it failed, it was a brand new failure.
 Failure is a pretty harsh  word. It's like "cunt", which is a word that carries a lot of weight. If someone is like "she is such a cunt", I automatically wanna stay as far away from that person as possible. I don't need any details pertaining to her cuntiness, I just know that I need not engage said person.
 Cunt trumps failure because there's no recovery from a cunt, but there is recovery from failure.
If you can fail correctly, something positive will come from a failure.
 In the case of this particular failure, what came about was the realization that we can not change the weight of a large piece, but what we can do is alter the mechanics so that the heavy piece can perform the function that a lighter piece would provide a customer. That function is this case is storage and mobility.
 This piece was based around a rental concept for an event company.
Not every event will call for a 8'6" farm table, so they would need to be able to move and store a piece from time to time.
 The caveman math would be LIGHT TABLE=EASY MOVE, but LIGHT TABLE also equals piece of shit, so, what we did is make the top removable.
  When the top is separated from the base, one person (one semi strong person), can move and safely store the table.
 I had to stomp on my sons innocence on Saturday.
Me and the kid were headed to Mildblend supply on Saturday and then off to lunch. While stopped at a red light, a homeless man approached the vehicle to ask for money. I stated that I didn't have any money, and the man moved on, but my son, in a panic, exclaims "you don't have any money!". Once I assured him that we were financially sound, he asked me "if you have money, then why didn't you give him some?". I was forced at that moment to explain the consequences of bad decisions, and my responsibility as a father to him and the responsibility to the family unit. He looked puzzled by my explanation and asked "what if he needed the money for food? We don't need to go out to lunch, we have food at home, so you can give him some money." So, at that point I changed gears, because my original explanation was pretty kid friendly, so I gave him the harsher reality of the situation.
 He listened, and that conversation was over, but he was visibly perplexed by this new discovery. By the time we went to lunch, he seemed to have forgotten about our discussion.
 We were sitting there, Luke from Mildblend had given him some  toys from Japan, and he was more focused on those then his lunch. He ate half his sandwich,and began wrapping up the other half. I asked if he was bringing it home for Mom before she goes to work, and he said "no, she's gonna eat at work....this is for the man that needed money."
 He gave me a brief look that said...I heard you, I understand, and I still don't give a fuck.
Checkmate.

No comments:

Post a Comment