Monday, September 7, 2015

LABOR DAYS





This week was a typhoon of production at the MAKERS compound.
 Photo 1 is...I'm not sure what the fuck photo 1 is.
I had a bug in my ass to carve something. I grabbed a block of wood and started hacking away. Part of it was a test for me on my control of a tool.
 I had no idea what I was going to make out of it, and I didn't really care what it became.
It doesn't have to be preconceived, nor does it necessarily need to be uber functional when it's art. In the case for this particular piece, I'm gonna use art as my scapegoat.
 The appearance of it is that of 2 heavy objects floating over a steel rectangle...this appearance was achieved completely by accident.
 A few people have come through the shop and been like "oh, that's cool...what is it?" and my eloquent response has been "I don't fuckin' know."
 Photo 2...There's no guess work in photo 2, it's a crate.
The back story to this crate is...a customer had seen a crate we had for sale on the makerschicago Etsy store and wanted 2 crates made as night stands. The goal was to create or should I say re create the crate posted on Etsy, only larger and with a shelf.
 I have a gift. My particular gift is the ability to make things look old. I have honed this skill over the last 4 years without even knowing that I was honing a skill. Some people are good at aging pieces and some people are not so good. I lump myself in the group that does it well.
 I've always been conscious of how things wear. Where are they being rubbed against, how are they being moved, how is a piece subjected to light, all these factors contribute to how a piece ages.
 You can watch a million youtube videos on the subject but nobody touches on the thought process, they just display a technique. So, if you are going to age a piece, think and think deeply about how it would have existed 50 years ago.
 Photo 3....This is a great idea that is tormenting me.
I had the brilliant idea to do hand carved and hand painted table numbers for events like weddings and shit.
 I've seen so many creative ways that people do them, but they have all been very elementary. People do some cute stuff, but I wanted to make those simple tiny details an actual "piece".
 Here's the problem...they're catching on...more people want them, and they're extremely laborious to make. The first 4 I did, man, that was fun. Brew up some coffee, crank up some Rancid and TOOL plop down at the work table and BE creative. After 5 hours of TOOL and Rancid it became not so fun.
 People have said to me "why don't you just CNC them?" My answer is this...I'm not trying to sell cut out numbers on wood, I'm trying to sell hand carved, hand painted little pieces of art. The easy way is a lie, and I'm not trying to take credit for something a CNC programmer is doing. I'll take my lumps and hand carve each and every one no matter how much it sucks at this point. I made my bed and now I gotta lay in it.
 Photo 4...This is another glass walled office that me and Zack are doing for a marketing company. The more we do, the better we get. Each glass wall project is getting progressively cleaner and more streamlined and that's what makes it more interesting for us.
Photo 5....That's Zack motherfuckin' Meyers world renowned Jean maker, rockin' a MAKERSXKOOTHBRAND shirt. It's nice to see someone who's craft you admire and respect rocking something that  you had a hand in putting together.
 Check him out at www.zaceusa.com.
Ya'll have a great labor day, me and Zack will be working, cause we have deadlines to meet and the shit ain't gonna make itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment