Monday, November 30, 2015

THE COST OF BEING A DICK


A couple of weeks ago me and my family had made our tri-weekly pilgrimage to Target.
 You all know the place. It's where you go when you need toilet paper and end up spending $200 and you sit in the front set of your vehicle before you exit the parking lot, scratching your head, muttering softly to yourself, "how the fuck did THAT happen?".
 Anyway...my girl dragged me over to the furniture area and proceeded to attempt to sell me on a hutch.
I could've avoided an argument by simply stating "I'll make you one.", but instead, I went on a tirade about cardboard furniture made in China, and how it's offensive to me that she would lust after a piece of shit, and a huge belittling speech that in the end, was completely unnecessary.
 We don't argue very often, but when we do, the gloves come off and it's a barrage of hurtful things that are usually completely unrelated to the original argument.
 The next morning I ordered up some steel with the evil intention of making the heaviest hutch on the planet.
"I'll show you"....hmmmm, well that's a mind set that can really backfire. In the end, once I make this beast, I'm going to have to actually MOVE it in order to "show you".
 I'm a man. As hard as I try to keep a level head, there are going to be times where I ultimately fuck myself to prove a point. It's abstract thinking at it's finest.
 Zack helped me move it into the house, and she was very pleased with my peace offering.
These damn chain lamps...people like em'. Trying to figure out a way to make them more affordable, that's the hard part.
 The time that goes into them is the killer. There is a value to ones time, and sure, we all make concessions on that number that we've assigned to our time, but I can't lower mine to the equivalent of a Walmart Greeter's pay rate in order to sell these to the public yet.
 There are 3 of my chain lamps in existence...I, of course, own one. Keith from Redtail Hard goods, owns one, and some lucky bastard that bought the very first one I made from Salvage One.
 This last one I made with more of a wood base, was built solely because I wanted to try out these bullet casings for dowels.
 Usually, when we use screws on a piece that might be visible, we counter sink the screw, insert a wood dowel, and sand flush.
 Now, we use spent bullet casing instead of the wood dowel, which you can't see in the photo, but trust me, it's there.
 The Holidays are upon us, and as much as I really hope everyone is able to enjoy friends and family, and create awesome memories for any and all children involved, I beg of you to shop small.
 Shopping small can change the lives of individuals. When you shop with the big box stores, that just means that an over paid CEO is getting a bigger bonus then his average giant bonus.
 Trust me, I know it's hard. Just keep the little guys in mind.
None of my friends make Ninja Turtles, so I'm gonna have to hit up a big box store, but there are more people on my list, and I plan on shopping small.
 The gifts are usually way better, and my money helps a small business keep the dream alive a little longer.
Just keep it in mind.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment