Monday, December 21, 2015

FUCK THE NUMBERS



When you do something for the first time, you muscle through your vision, and cave man your way to a finished product.
 When you do it a second time, there's much more finesse,
We did a rusted steel, bent ear desk for a client a  few months back. It was all trial and error for that piece, and ended up being really cool, but the process cost us in blood and sweat.
 For the new desk, instead of smashing the corners to bend the steel, I used a series of blocks and clamps.
While smashy-smashy may have been faster, the clamp method proved to be less taxing.
 When we rusted the steel on the first piece, we weren't sure how our grocery store rusting concoction was going to work, and on this one, we had way more control of the rust. (controlling rust...fodder for a god complex).
 People always say "learn from your mistakes", the thing is...we didn't make any mistakes on the first one, we just learned how to be better  than we were before.
 The last photo is the humble beginnings of a retail display table for my friend Luke at Mildblend supply.
We did a piece for his store back in the summer, and he asked about getting another piece.
 What he doesn't know is that his piece will probably be the last build for 2015, and there will be some un expected bells and whistles on his piece as I quietly celebrate the end of the year in my head.
 If you've been following my blog or read previous posts, then you know that I'm all about "time stamps".
Time stamps are little details on the pieces we build that help me remember when and where I was mentally or emotionally during that pieces creation.
 When I get to see a piece in it's permanent home, I can look at it, and know exactly the state I was in when it was built.
 It's more for me than it is for the customer, but the customer wins out in the end.
Unless your an asshole.
 It's rare, but on occasion, we get the asshole customer.
Nice or not, our customers always get our best, but they don't always get "special".
 Special is earned.
For Lukes table, I had a particular wood in mind.
 After inspection of the wood I originally envisioned, I realized that it wasn't gonna work for his piece.
In the 11th hour I had to drive to bumfuckegypt and pay market price for some 91 year old wood from a demolished church.
 It took a huge chunk out of the budget, but it was the right wood, for the right person, so you chuck whatever profit you might have made in the garbage and make the right piece.
 Money is useless if I'm not making something I'm proud of.
I think this will be my final 2015 post.
 It was a year to remember for sure.
Me and Zack have made it through our first year doing what we love everyday...barely, but we made it.
 It's something to be proud of, for both of us.
We muscled through some shit that would have crippled other peoples dreams and sent us to working at Home Depot.
 We spent the last year building some of the coolest shit on the market, moshing in the shop, afternoon coffee, foot massage Fridays, and spent the better part of the year laughing uncontrollably,
 Our numbers might tell a different story, but fuck the numbers...we got 2016 to change all that.
See ya next year friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment