Monday, April 18, 2016

3 STEP PROGRAM TO NOT BEING A DICKHEAD



Friday we needed to go to our steel supplier and pick up stock for a couple upcoming jobs.
 Any other day of the week, we're in and out of that place in 10 or 15 minutes, but picking up on a Friday...you're lookin' at 2 to 3 hours.
 Aside from picking up material, we're pretty close to being caught up on our work, so I decided to take my version of a "mental health day" and build something from our scrap, for no reason at all, with a design pulled completely from my rectum.
 Days like that are not only necessary, but should be mandatory.
Me and Zack are work-a-holics.
 Our idea of "fun" is building random shit, even though we spend 10 hours a day, 6 days a week, building shit for other people.
 It's a soul cleansing.
Building with no restriction, no deadline, no real purpose other than letting loose...it's like having sex.
 Allow me to explain...
You're with your partner for years. You have sex with this partner repeatedly over the years. The sex is great, that's one reason you both are navigating life together. But every now and then, you come home and she has a new hair color, or she bought some sexy heels, and she drags you in the bedroom and puts it on ya.
 Now, the person is the same, the "act" is the same, the end result is the same. I mean, at the end of it all, you've still made a huge mess, and you still want a sandwich, but it was different.
 When it's all said and done, you both continue on with life, but you continue on with a little more swagger.
Building random shit is my work version of sex in a public bathroom on our anniversary.
 Aside from that analogy, we would be hosting a sleepover for my son on Friday night and I felt that I really needed to have a good day.
 He was having his 2 cousins spend the night, and I love those kids dearly. I also, know that the memories that we create for him now are the ones that he carries with him for the rest of his life.
 There's a price to be paid.
They're all good kids, but there is a witching hour, and shit gets crazy. There's also the barrage of demands, and bickering, and conflict, and hurt feelings, and hurt heads, and then...there's the clean up.
 In my head, I thought, "If I come home in a good mood, I'll be able to tolerate this sleepover better".
I came home in a great mood, and it ended up being ok. The kids let me watch a play off hockey game slightly uninterrupted, pizza was ordered, cookies were made, no ER visits, nothing outside of normal 6 year old conflicts. I couldn't really have asked for a better day.
 What I'm learning is this...There are always going to be things that you have to do, but if you can manage to do them on your terms, you'll be able to take a little bit of the sting out of the unpleasant or the mundane.
 Also, if you spend less time dreading the things that you don't necessarily want to do, and spend more time knocking those things out and being mentally and emotionally present while you're executing those things, you'll find that it all wasn't so bad.
 Lastly...carve some time out for you. If you find yourself constantly doing shit for other people, or allocating all your time to doing the grown up shit we all have to do, without taking some time for yourself, you'll start harboring resentment against the whole world and end up being a total jag off that no one likes.
 The moral of the story is this...take the time you need for yourself, so you don't end up being a dickhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment