Monday, February 6, 2017

COMPUTERS AND CUBICLES



All of last week, my head was all types of screwed up.
 My sons teacher had asked that I come in on Friday and speak to my sons class on career day.
For most, it'd probably be more of an inconvenience than it would be anything else, but for me it was more of an anxiety ridden roller coaster.
 For one, I spent most of my life being a foul mouthed shithead with absolutely no governor on my vocabulary, so I felt like "keeping it clean" was going to be a huge task.
 Secondly, I'm extremely passionate about my work, so the fear of being overly animated and dangerously dramatic was also a concern.
 The last thing I wanted to do was say "Ya know how your dad comes home from work sometimes and he's a total asshole? Well kids, it's probably because he hates his fuckin' job. At HIS job, he probably has to ask someone if it's ok to take a piss, or ask another grown up what time he could eat a sandwich, or maybe he got screamed at by his supervisor for being 5 minutes late because YOU didn't want to put your fuckin' shoes on." Yeah, as much as I wanted to go there, I knew that I couldn't.
 I invited Zack to come along.
We're a 2 man show and Max loves Zack, but I feared that Zack would decline such a tempting offer.
 Zack accepted.
I thought it would be a great idea to make lil MAKERS shirts for his class. I figured if I totally blew it, the kids, at least, walked away with some free shit, and everybody loves free shit.
 Me and Max went to his God fathers house to work on the design.
Max's God father/uncle Martin has a silk screen company called "Flooded Dots". Max was extremely involved in the design process and was really excited to be a part of the printing process as well.
 The big day was upon me, and when we were about to leave the shop Zack said "go ahead, I'll meet you there." When we met up at the school, Zack was dressed in full work shop gear.
 Dirty ass apron, respirator, goggles, welding helmet, welding gloves, fully loaded tool belt...he looked like a cross between Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the creepy German dude from that movie Hostel, and it was awesome.
 We walked into the class room and the kids eyes lit up when they saw Letherface, I mean Zack.
We went through his outfit and talked about the purposes of it all. The kids were very inquisitive, and eager to share their stories of how they built a birdhouse with their dad or fixed the refrigerator with their grandpa, it was really a beautiful thing.
 At the end of the presentation, we handed out their "Future MAKERS" shirts, and my son finished out his day being the coolest fuckin kid in the class.
 Now, when I pick Max up from school looking like a filthy homeless man who was set on fire, his class will know that Max's dad isn't a stinky bum after all, they'll know that he had just been making some cool shit.
 On the subject of making cool shit...the other 2 photos are some cool shit we made.
The first is the "under attack" coat rack, with hand painted steel arrows blasting through a piece of old growth wood, and the second is a industrial towel rack for a customer who was kind enough to send a photo of it in use.
 There was a very satisfying feeling to letting a small group of children know that making, creating, using your hands, using your brain, can be a rewarding career choice. That life after childhood doesn't have to be computers and cubicles. That you are free to dream, free to be creative, free to hone your skill into an art.
 I'm guessing that the underlying message might have been too abstract for them, but the seed has been planted and only time will tell if it makes it to harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment